Monday, May 13, 2013

Week 65: Happy Mothers Day!

 
We got to 'visit' with Sister Wuehler yesterday for an hour on Google Plus!  Here's a picture of her--she looks happy and great, and we had a good visit.  The best gift for Mother's Day!!
 
 

Dear Family and Friends,

Happy Mothers day! It was fun to call home this week even though we were having a few technical glitches. Something always seems to come up with at least one companion or the other.
 
  • So last Monday we brought Sister Petersen to the airport and that was difficult, followed by a long week, lots of lessons that were cancelled just by the people we were going to teach not showing up or cancelling it and a lot of other appointments! Since Sister Gerber was over the 2nd ward area and Asian area, we are now juggling 3 area of proselyting between the three of us, and we are doing our best to make it work, but we have had to let go of a lot. We are lucky we can pass off a lot of the 2nd ward work to the Elders in the ward too!
  • (The young man) who got baptized last week, was ordained to the office of Priest on Wednesday and we got to be there! He is now back on the slope and his fiance is moving, but he may be able to bless the sacrament up there if we can get permission from the Barrow/ North Slope branch president. We will call soon, but that is exciting! Especially because he has been talking with some people there who he found out were members who are less active now, but they were all excited about his baptism.
  • We went on base this week and had an address to go way out there with it,even through the airport area and there was a sign that said not to drive through because of jet blasts, which was so interesting to see that people have a road through a runway pretty much. But I kept calling them jet STREAMS, when they are actually jet Blasts. My Companion was so nervous she would be driving 2 over the speed limit and be pulled over by the cop there. Turns out one street we were on she was going 15 because there wasn't a posted speed limit and a cop pulled up behind us and was bored because we were going so slow. Turns out, it was 25 or 35 MPH... It was a good day, most of it was spent trying to find places going at 15 mph- I love my companions! "The speed limit is 15 MPH or 15 MPH with lights flashing"
  • So I just heard that soda is banned in New York (or limited, but you probably know more than I do). There was this man who was really put off by it and before we knew that was one thing that was bugging him, he was really angry. When I found out how angry he was about it, I couldn't help but laugh at it, I couldn't hold it back. I just remember leaving the building saying, "Drink Soda, while you can!!!"
  • We volunteered for the Arctic Winter games "mock up" opening ceremonies which was in a big stadium and the middle schoolers of Fairbanks used to fill the spaces. We funneled them all through the doors and the doors I was at was where we gave each contingent their flag and their country of tribe name sign for their group, so I got to use one of those $1000 cop walkie talkies to clear everyone through! That was fun! The actual arctic winter games will be next March and will include at least 2000 athletes above the Arctic Circle and even the other day was broadcast to those countries I was told.
  • We got to clean up trash along the Steese highway for a service project--- Fairbanks cleanup day was awesome to see all the full bags along the side of the highway.
  • We had a lesson about temples with one of our members who is going back to the temple this week and it is so exciting to see the change that has taken place in him! The gospel is so true!
  • Mothers day meetings were so wonderful, but we found out that one of the counselors in the bishopric was being released. Honestly I was not expecting that and he has been a strong part of this branch with his family for a very long time. Most of his family spoke on mothers and he talked about his too, and shared with us his tie that he found in his mothers things right after she passed away. He wears it often and talked about how it always reminded him of her, and also said "as a dad, I know everything, but mom knows more than that" to which his wife and daughter looked in surprise to each other that he said it and laughed. To end his talk he expressed his gratitude to have been a part of the branch. His whole family have been so great. He said, "To every time there is a season and for now my time and season is past. Love the next counselor like you loved me"

THE SNOW IS ALMOST GONE!!! I can see grass everywhere and it held to 60 yesterday!! HOT right?! We even saw swans on the Chena river as we pass over it every day! Yes!

Love,

Sister Wuehler

scripture: Ecclesiastes 12:13
13 ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: aFear God, and bkeep his commandments: for this is the whole cduty of man.
 
 
ism: We saw protesters out on a corner the other day with scriptures on their signs, this is what we said about that: "They're protesting sin, I do that every day!"

No comments:

Post a Comment