Dear Family and Friends,
This week went great! It was so busy too!
We got news a couple of days ago that Sister Petersen is going home a few weeks early for a medical reason, so Sister Gerber will be with us, but we may have to move. I am beginning to think there is nothing that has stability anymore.
- We watched transfers from Fairbanks-- they were really good this transfer, yet again.
- We have met about four new investigators recently and have a few more planned- the Branch is almost doubled with all the bus drivers here for the summer and it's cool to watch all the people who want to know about the work up here
- Its been a busy week- we've cut short a few lunches this week and with picking up the work Sister Gerber has for the 2nd ward and Asian area, we will be giving up some dinners.
- The Baptism and Confirmation were so special this week (for the young man from the slope area). The room was almost full. I got to speak on Baptism, but my favorite parts were when (his fiance) spoke on the Holy Ghost and the spirit was there. But it got even funnier when the girl who was going to play "Abide with Me; 'Tis Eventide" on the violin was practicing outside when his fiance was speaking in a really great part. Part of what she talked about was how he has been able to feel those "nudges from the spirit" and how he found out for himself if this was the right decision. Then he gave his testimony after the baptism about how he found out and the changes he has made in his life and how there is so much to look forward to. I remembered when we first taught him about baptism, I took a dirty penny (I remembered someone doing this at the first baptism I was here for in Alaska), and you see the years of dirt on it- that represents us.We took ketchup and rubbed the penny and eventually that old, dirty penny becomes a bright, shiny penny, unrecognizable from the first. He was just like that bright shiny penny, and when he came out of that water after being baptized, he was washed from all of those impurities of his past. Now, the future has lots and it's possible to become dirty again, but the atonement is always there when we use the gospel of repentance and we renew our covenant at baptism through the sacrament. He is receiving the priesthood this week before he leaves for the slope. We are so excited and you could feel the spirit it brought to all those who were there.
- The snow came back solid for most of the week. It's finally going away though, and we were in the house for 20 minutes yesterday and the melting went up an inch or two! Thank goodness it evaporates very quickly.
- We got to pet a painted horse with blue eyes this week- that was fun but those blue eyes are so catching- I've never seen a horse like that. (Each Paint Horse has a particular combination of white and another color that is part of the color spectrum of horses)
- I also got to hold a bearded lizard (the thing I loved about coming to Alaska is that there weren't really any reptiles. I really debated on holding that lizard!)
| I don't like reptile--I like bears more!! But I was brave. |
- For Friday night activity the branch had broom ball and broken brooms were all over the floor and in the trash can afterwards. We were half expecting to find pieces of broom all over the place when we went to dodge ball the next morning too! They even tried to tape up those brooms with hot pink tape.
- We did family history work again this week- I have a few names I found way back in the family and reserved them for sealings
- We taught one of our recent converts in the branch and his girlfriend about the law of tithing again, and on Sunday, she came up to us and shared with us how yesterday, she prepared her tithing and fast offering and was $10 short, so she figured she would make up for it when she could and pay what she had. She shared with us that when she recounted it, she had the $10 she had been missing, and she hadn't miscounted before that. The Lord will always provide for us in different ways and I have seen that when we show our faith and pay our tithing, we can be helped. I saw that with our investigator in Kenai who picked up a dime once and had exact change for one thing he needed when he was going through a rough time. Even a small dime can be a blessing from the Lord when we have prepared to listen.
- Our relief society president has a way about being serious in a comical way and getting across a point to catch people's attention. She was talking about our worth in Heavenly Father's eyes and began with this makeshift scale with a cup on each side. She began with talking about our insecurities and added scoops of rice to the cup until it tipped WAY over. We talked throughout the lesson about how we are his children and something I remembered that President Beesley said that Elder Holland told then a week ago in their mission presidents seminar is that Eve was the crowning of God's creation and how all are children of God. By the end of the lesson, we were all very touched but (the RS Pres.) topped it off by going out the door and getting a HUGE shovel filled with snow and brought it into the room and dumped it on the table and it fell onto the floor. Basically, it made it all over the place on the floor, but we all got the point. We should remember how valuable we are to God then all of those extra things can fall away.
- Happy Mothers Day this week!!!
| The Ward (Elders Quorum) gave roses to all the sisters! (Before Mother's Day....and they said they had something more for MD. Sister Wuehler hasn't seen fresh flowers in a Long Time! |
| Our Car---Jeep! |
| Our Kitchen--no stove! |
Love,
Sister Wuehler
scripture: 2 Nephi 26:30
30 Behold, the Lord hath forbidden this thing; wherefore, the Lord God hath given a commandment that all men should have acharity, which bcharity is clove. And except they should have charity they were nothing. Wherefore, if they should have charity they would not suffer the laborer in Zion to perish.
ism: our investigator we met this week said "and thank you for these 3
really cool ladies who came to my house" in his prayer- it was awesome, "The
price for staying in the comfort zone is your life"
No comments:
Post a Comment