Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Week 8: The Frozen Tundra Refreezes

Dear Family and Friends,
Happy Easter Week (last week)! Today I am feeling a little under the weather- so if this email doesn't make sense at any point- I apologize. This week has been very eventful filled with lots of training in South Anchorage, a companion exchange, the Anchorage museum, Easter, etc.

Last Wednesday we had a companion exchange because Sister Williams and Halatokoua had to go to a training with all of the zone leaders so it was Sister Peterson and I taking over the Turnagain area! Being the one who knows everything about the area made me nervous to take it over without Sister Halatokoua, but everything turned out very well.  I think it makes me even more grateful for my senior companion.

We had a training meeting about working with members this week, and although we are missionaries, I think it is easy for each of us to forget that we each have a responsibility to reach out and lift each other.  I hope that once I return home that I can continue with working with the missionaries to help them, but more importantly to help the people.  Too often we make our lives so busy that in all of our leaping, we leap over the individual. What good are our treasures on earth comparatively to the treasures that God can give us- our knowledge, our friendships, our family. What would we rather have? the a pile of gold, or the atonement. We are constantly faced with these decisions in our lives, yet ultimately, Heavenly Father still gives us this choice.



We had a cultural training at the Anchorage museum with Sister Beesley this week. We got to look at all of the tribal and native Alaskan things and it makes you appreciate the natives so much more; although you may not see them much in Anchorage, I hope that I can see them sometime throughout my mission.


Sister Beesley and I getting ready to make Big Bubbles!

Snow came again: four inches on friday--- BUT WE BROKE THE RECORD- for snowfall in Anchorage- members say it may just be by about an inch but we have been waiting and waiting for this. It is funny because it keeps melting and freezing and remelting on us. When that snow fell, though, I have to say that it is so pretty to see.







Easter on the mission has definitely become one of my favorite things- the members are so wonderful. We went "egging"-- I know what you may be thinking, but no-- we cut out eggs and put scriptures on them to share the true message of Easter: The message of Christ's Ressurrection-- because he lives, we can one day live again. I loved going to houses and putting this on their doors-- many of them caught us, but still, I hope that they and all who are reading can feel of Christ's continual love for us.


By the way-- I stepped on a cadbury caramel egg yesterday as I got out of the car-- it was pretty sad.
  (note: Julie was craving Cadbury eggs before she left on her mission)
Thank you for all of your love and support! I want you to know that I love each of you!

Love,
Sister Wuehler

Scripture: Matthew 28: 5-6
"And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.  He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay."

isms: "I've never seen someone fall into a pile of crap and come out smelling like a rose" (something told to one of our members)

"People are not a waste of our time-- people are the reason we are here"

Sister Wuehler and Sister Halatokoua with Members
Happy Easter!
Easter Treats from Home!  Yeaaaaah!





No comments:

Post a Comment