Monday, April 2, 2012

Week 7: "but... it's general conference!!!"

Dear Family and Friends,
    This week has gone well.  We have begun something called active member lessons where it gives us a chance to improve our teaching skills; except, not all the members realize that you don't need to feed the missionaries when we do these lessons, so, as is (apparently) common, I ate my first "double dinner" this week.  We had already eaten and when we taught, the members insisted that what they made was for us.  We felt so bad, but we did not want to offend them.  We also had training this week with all the "new" under 12 week, missionaries, which was basically a Q and A to just clarify different subjects.
    I have been working on getting excited about tracting and it has become a long hard struggle with my own personal "natural man".  I think that I am coming to appreciate it more as we come up with more ideas--such as asking members what streets may be best to talk to (people), working gospel related topics into the restoration, and so on.  It has definitely become easier to do as I have incorporated different ideas into it.
   Members have been a great guidance to me, particularly those who have been on missions previously, and the things that they have done.  We had one member sister come with us knocking on less actives' doors, and after knocking and knocking, there was no answer.  As we turned around to leave, (she says), "No, you have to have faith", in a 'how dare you even turn around yet, sarchastic' face, and she knocks on the door again.  It was so great when he answered the door that time and no matter how funny that was, it was her words of faith that I repeat in my mind each time I think of turning around too early.
    General Conference was AWESOME.  I don't know what it is but as a missionary, it just feels like they are ALL talking directly to you, and I have to admit, this was the first time I haven't fallen asleep for at least one session of conference and I was proud of myself for that, because, as you know, I love to sleep.  Particularly in my memory is Elder Uchtdorf's talk when he said, how can we deny mercy to someone when we are seeking it so desparately ourselves.  I really loved it all, but that is what I have been so impressed to share with those around me- how often do we come across that question?  Each of us does-- what does Christ think of US?  By the way, the reason for the title this week is because in district meeting, our District Leader kept saying that after EVERY single thing we said to get pumped for conference, and it worked, because the rest of the meeting, we each kept saying it back to him.  We have been telling everyone to go into conference with questions and as I was asking, I had to "practice what I preached" and I can say, it definitely works, and these men are inspired by God as to what we need to hear.  One idea at conference, drawing the ties of each of the speakers--it is pretty fun as it was Sister Halatokoua's idea. (I guess that would keep her awake!)
   There is a member in our ward who has designated herself as our "mission mom".  As such, she has emphasized that we can ask her for ANYTHING, anything at all. S he took us to a burger place for dinner this week called "Tommy's Burger Stop" and as we all had never tryed it, we thought it was really good, and as I am not usually a fan of burgers I actually REALLY liked it.  It's this little hole in the wall place.  Anyway, she has been so wonderful to be willing to come with us to lessons anytime, give us big bags of m and m's etc.  She says that is how she hoped her boys were being taken care of so she is trying to do the same.  She even gives me mom hugs when I miss everyone and for that I will always be grateful.
   Either way, it has been a great week despite the hard times.  Hope you had a great week as well.  I love to hear from you all and I am glad to hear that everything is going well.  Love you all!
Love,
Sister Wuehler
scripture: "dispute not because ye see not, for you shall receive no witness until after the trial of your faith"
isms: can't really think of one today, but this is from conference "was it all worth it? to this family, it was" (David F. Evans talk)

No comments:

Post a Comment