So, we got our transfer calls this week and guess what. . . We are staying in Turnagain!!! Thank goodness, because I am not ready to leave yet. Hope you enjoy the hike photos (below)-- Alaska really is such an amazing place, especially when huge moose randomly run across the streets, but it probably doesn't happen as often as you think it may.
Anchorage is warming up so fast. I can't believe the snow was taller than I am when I got in and now I am seeing grass. There were multiple times when I turned to my companion this week and said "It's hot, what is it, like 70 degrees?!", she replied always with, "no it's only 38 degrees"...Crazy how used to the weather you get.
So Sister H. and I did double teaching in church yesterday: Gospel Principles and Relief Society--one with only an overnight notice and the other with a couple hours notice--but all turned out well.
Sister Halatokoua has been practicing the Ukelele as well, so we may be doing some recording with Sister Beesley (Mission President's wife) sometime soon singing with the Uke; we will let you know. Specific songs that are our favorites right now are "Give Said the Little Stream", "Love is
Spoken Here", and "I Am a Child of God". Totally going to rat out my companion on this, but "Give Said the Little Stream" started out for her in a hick accent... it won't continue, but it gave (us) a good laugh.
Half the time we come home and are totally spent. There is no energy left. It make me appreciate the blanket that we made before I left even better. (Her sister Melanie made a quilt designed by Julie--it turned out so great!) By the way, our members we live with are so cute; they are beginning a breakfast tradition on Monday mornings. This morning was Eggs Benedict--I had never had it before, but now I want to learn--so good!
It hasn't been the easiest week, but it has been a week of miracles, not huge obvious happenings, but huge for all of us personally. I think of Dad's letter he shared with me of the difficult lonely times in his mission, but he knew that the Lord would help him. Sometimes we have to go through things like this before we can recognize things which are greater. We had the opportunity to go to the temple this week, and I am so grateful for the peace it has given me and for the peace it always gives me; it is there where I can feel of my Heavenly Fathers love and mercy towards me.Prayer has been a major focus for the week. There is a story my companion says all the time about an "Elder Tom" and "Elder Dave", who live in Africa with many animals, and when they are transfered they walk to the next place. She goes on to say that there was a lion, and they didn't want him to eat them, so they both knelt to pray. As the lion got closer, one of the Elders disappeared, and so the other Elder started to pray even harder and began to hear this voice, saying, "Run, Elder Tom, the lion is going to eat you!" As he continues, he hears it, but does not recognize what or who it is, and the lion is getting closer. Soon the lion is there and he realizes that Elder Tom climbed the tree. Basically the point is that if we don't want to get eaten by a lion, we must pray and then go climb the tree. Something with prayer is to pray specifically for what is needed because with a specific prayer, Heavenly Father can give us a specific answer, and we can be ready to listen to it.
Sometimes we expect blessings to be sunshine and unicorns, but usually it is the most difficult things that we can recognize the greatest blessings from. I would like to share the words and testimony of President Gordon B. Hinckley when he spoke at Sister Hinckley's funeral years ago that lifted me this week.
"It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don't Worry. I say that to myself every morning. It will all work out. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us. If we put our trust in Him, if we live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers."
To any and all who feel that they cannot move any farther, to those who are at their limits, put your trust in the Lord who created you and know that there is hope and purpose, and that he will not give you anything that you cannot handle. Seek always to live by his teachings and you can find joy, and "consider on the blessed and happy state" of those who follow the teachings of God. That is how we can be happy. As we follow, without delay and without wavering, he can truly help us know that where we are and who we are striving to become is where he would have us be and that we can go forward with faith. I know that because the Lord moves mountains in me,; the trials that I have become small stumbling blocks from which I can learn to pick myself up and continuously move forward. I am blessed because of those experiences, and it helps me to understand others as they are having their own difficult times. I have seen the Lord working through others to fulfill his purposes, and I know that he will always continue to do so. Something I realize of this is that God can do anything he wishes, but sometimes he asks us to do it.
Someone we meet with in our ward was asked to give a talk this last week and so we were enouraging her, but she continued to be nervous about sharing something that was so close to her heart. Sunday came around, and I was so excited for her, and while she was up there, (she froze). She had the courage to get up there and to share what she had in the first place, and this was an act of Faith. The person who got up to help her continue was acting as the hands in her life. I saw the way the Atonement worked in her life, specifically on that day when she could go no further, and unexpectedly, someone who knew how much the Lord loved this woman, followed a prompting to get up and help her to continue.
When we can go no further, that is when miracles happen. There is joy in the journey. I love you all and I am grateful for the love and support you give me and for the prayers offered.
Love,
Sister Wuehler
Scripture: 1 Nephi 21:15-16
For can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? Yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee, O house of Israel. Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.
Ism: "When you pray until it feels like it's too much, that is actually when it is finally enough."
Pictures from the hike on "P" day last week -- they do have some recreation time on Mondays. . . and Julie is true to self--she loves to take 'silly' and fun photos!






No comments:
Post a Comment