Monday, April 15, 2013

Week 61: doctors, Emergency room, hospital



Dear Family and Friends,


This week has been absolutely Crazy!!! Quick overview: Sister Washington had gall stones, not the flu, and wasn't able to keep any food in her body for 8 days and we were in emergency on Friday when they finally found out (after doing SO many other smaller tests, 3 times into the urgent care, 2 i.v.s, the list goes on!). She stayed overnight on Friday and went into surgery on Saturday morning to remove her gall bladder and stayed another night after that. She was getting pretty bad, but now she's home and recovering! She's really happy she can eat now, but she should be taking it easy. I've been doing a lot of exchanges for lessons and so I don't go crazy inside! haha

 






President and Sister Beesley had planned a long time ago to come up for interviews and stay until Sunday.  Sister Washington wasn't keeping down any of the pills she was given, but her pain was bearable until Friday morning when it got really bad for some reason, and that was exactly when they flew in! They came and we made some decisions of what we needed to do and she got a blessing again.  We talked to the doctor in a ward up here, then missionary medical, who had been clued in all week, who had approved all sorts of test we had been doing at the urgent care (T.V.C. first care), so finally they gave some more tests we needed to do that the doctor had been avoiding and was scheduled way too far off. Salt lake overrode that and said to head into the hospital or emergency room, and after the doctor spoke to an emergency doctor, she was able to be admitted there, so we spent Friday in the ER.  She is a trooper, this whole week, she been positive and pretty happy, even joking around when she had energy, and almost ALL her jokes HAPPENED to be about food, probably because she couldn't eat all week! haha. They finally did an ultrasound and found gall stones, and noticed that she didn't have the regular symptoms- no inflamed gall bladder, but since she was so weak, they took out her whole gall bladder the next morning and gave her pain medication in a hospital room the night before.



With the Beesleys here for interviews and Stake Conference, they were great to have around and another support to us and the sisters. They were busy most of the trip, but every night has been late and every morning early; we finally got some sleep yesterday and last night and everything is going well!



So I got a call from (one of) the Juneau sisters this week, and she got permission so she could tell me about a recent convert in the branch who we have been trying to get a hold of since I last met him a couple of months ago. She said that he sent her a letter saying he finally opened up his scriptures after a long time and that work has been crazy but he is doing better. We tried to contact him through a few people, but we texted him to see how he was doing and he answered the next day and we just happened to be in the emergency room when he was able to get back to us. He wanted to come meet Sister Washington and see how she was doing and got to visit twice while we were at the hospital between his shifts and talked about how he wants to get to the temple someday and get back. He has such a tough schedule! We are keeping him in our prayers, but it was amazing to see that. I joked about is as a coincidence, but that was definitely a tender mercy from Heavenly Father and now we will be able to keep better contact with him.  It was very kind of him to visit! We also met a couple of less actives in the hospital who were very nice and we were able to get contact with them for their wards and connect them with the sisters! It was pretty cool, but I think the best story of this was to see how we were still able to do work while in this type of situation. There's no reason to be down when you can still lift those around you... sometime you literally have to.



The Hospital wasn't too busy when we were in, so she got her own room! The first night Sister Beesley stayed in the bed next to her and I stayed the second night (Saturday). They wanted me to try and get some good sleep on Friday because they knew I would be the one helping her after, but I slept on the other Sisters' couch- their apartment is great, but the couch is NOT for sleeping on- Sis. Washington hardly got sleep in the hospital too, before or after the surgery, so it is good that she is finally sleeping and the pain is just surgery pain, not anything else!

Sister Petersen, Sister Gerber, and me!


 

 
 
 
 
 
 





Stake Conference was this weekend and all the missionaries were told to go to the adult session (because we normally don't go to that session unless we have an investigator or less active with us there).  But Sister Petersen stayed in the hospital for a few hours so i could eat dinner because I was pacing in the room; I was so sick of being inside! It was great, and I went with Sister Gerber to Stake Conference for that session and then headed back to the hospital after, so the Sisters and the Beesley's could all see her at once, a little overwhelming for her, but she said it was the laugh she needed although her incisions hurt from it (she got five). We have this call in every night in the zone and one person tells a little about themselves a night and shares a story or testimony, so I got to do mine from the hospital on Saturday night.



So, Sister Washington jokes around and says that this was to teach her patience, because she says I told her to pray for patience and she did. Disclaimer, I never tell anyone to pray for patience, because I know you get the opportunity- the problem with patience is that it takes too long-- but what I actually told her is just to ask her if she ever has prayed for patience--- yeah, don't remember that. ever. haha

 






Today, after being home from surgery, Sister Washington needed to get out, so Sister Petersen,
Sister Gerber, and I headed to Walmart with her!


Since being in the Hospital, we weren't able to make our interviews, so President came to us when we got Sister Washington back home yesterday, before their flight to Juneau. We have exchanges set up with the other Sisters all week, so we can still do work in the YSA area and the whole branch has been so great and supportive! This whole time though, it's been good because neither Sister Washington or I have been too anxious or worried about things, we knew they would work out and that she will be able to finish her mission and that was confirmed in the blessings she received. We know the Priesthood is directed from God and that the faith of all those there was pure enough to understand it. Love you all!





Love,



Sister Wuehler





scripture:
Doctrine and Covenants 93:1-3
Verily, thus saith the Lord: It shall come to pass that every soul who aforsaketh his bsins and cometh unto me, and ccalleth on my name, and dobeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall esee my fface and gknow that I am;
2 And that I am the true alight that lighteth every man that cometh into the world;
3 And that I am ain the Father, and the Father in me, and the Father and I are one—
ism: we got a message from the zone leaders on saturday night after surgery day, it said "GALL, it's sure good you're doing better!"
 
Ether 12:27
27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their aweakness. I bgive unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my cgrace is sufficient for all men that dhumble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make eweak things become strong unto them.


"TODAY IS THE BEST DAY EVER" --Sister Washington's mom used to make them say that or embarress them, so I made her say it in the hospital!

"If we put ourselves in the right place at the right time the holy ghost can guide us left right up down" Pres. Beesley (he was called up in stake conference, even though he says he doesn't know how they found him in the back corner of the room)

"Without the atonement, nothing makes sense"


 

No comments:

Post a Comment