Monday, April 8, 2013

Week 60: Z.L.C., G.C., and the FLU


Dear Family and Friends,

I think this week I will just bullet point what's going on:
  • On Tuesday morning The zone leaders and I flew out to Anchorage in the middle of district meeting- Our pilot took us around Denali! It was awesome, not to mention we got an awesome view of it on the flight BACK to Fairbanks.









  • Sister Frazier and Sister Grayson picked me up and we went out and proselyted for a few hours before ZLC (Zone Leader Council) which started that night and went till about 4 the next day.
  • The sisters at ZLC did a training on COUNTING YOUR BLESSINGS, which was about how we can lift those around us-- we had everyone draw faces on paper plates. It would be too much to explain over this email, but at zone meeting when we brought what we learned at ZLC to our zone here in Fairbanks, the Sisters and I changed it to attitude, why we are asked to do things and how we can improve.  It was good- there's your explanation for all those pictures of paper plates.  I think the other sisters got more photos than i did- haha.



HAPPY
AND
SAD




AN ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE!!

  • In ZLC, each of the zone leader companionships from every zone get up and give a 5 minute training about what they are focusing on in their zone. The Wasilla Elders opened theirs by teaching us "How to make tacos".  As one elder modeled this, the other grunted and groaned that he was from Arizona, he didn't need to learn any more and he was wasting his time. The other Elder pulled out the scripture from 2 Nephi 29--- a bible, a bible... we have no more need for a bible. The point they were making is that God continues to reveal his word and if we sit here murmuring we miss the point that he gives continual guidance and can help us and answer our prayers.  Part of that guidance comes through leaders.  One point that I took from that is that if we want God to be in the details of our life, we have to let him, and listen to what he's guided others to tell us. President Monson teaches that clearly in his talk from last conference "Consider the Blessings" (www.lds.org, Nov. Ensign or under Oct. General Conference)-- in all of his experiences, he never knew what his affect might be in following the spirit until AFTER.

  • President Beesley brought out a point about Jesus that is so obvious, but I think too often we don't remember or apply to ourselves-- in 3 Nephi 27:13-15, he had 2 people read it out loud and one of them only spoke each time it says "Father":

 

13 Behold I have given unto you my agospel, and this is the gospel which I have given unto you—that I came into the world to do thebwill of my Father, because my Father sent me. 14 And my Father sent me that I might be alifted up upon thebcross; and after that I had been lifted up upon the ccross, that I might ddraw all men unto me, that as I have been lifted up by men even so should men be lifted up by the Father, to stand before me, to be ejudged of their works, whether they be good or whether they be evil— 15 And for this cause have I been alifted up; therefore, according to the power of the Father I will draw all men unto me, that they may be judged according to their bworks.


The point he points out there is that Jesus Christ was exactly obedient to his Father- he knew that what he was being asked to do was what was right.
  • We started a new thing as the Fairbanks zone-- we all call in at 10:15 each night and one person gives a testimony or a story, a little about themself and then we all hang up-- I love it so far.
  • Luke 6:14-16 President told us that a missionary pointed out that in these verses, Christ calls all of his disciples in pairs
  • We started a booth at UAF this week (finally) where we go up on Campus and people can come to us- it was awesome to see the conversations we were able to have with people who came up to us--about the church, the gospel, their interactions with it-- we even met a less active who we got to talk a lot with and a woman who has friends who have gone on missions. You'd be surprised at who comes up to us- if anyone has any creative ideas for this, you should write me... hint hint.
  • So, changing the lesson at the last second, if it's really what those you are teaching need to hear totally works if you are prepared to teach it. We taught a returning member, like we do with him each week, and he had requested to learn about families, and that is what I studied for that morning, but it didn't feel quite right for him. We got there for dinner and he actually hesitated to ask if he could learn about something different. Right away, everything about the topic of the priesthood i had studied in the past clicked and we knew exactly what we needed to talk about. We watched the Mormon message, 'Sanctify Yourselves' and looked into Doctrine and Covenants 121. It was more powerful to see the way the spirit worked to let each of us know what we needed to talk about.
  • Sister Washington has been sick with the flu and hasn't kept any food or water down for 2 1/2 days. We finally called the doctor and got medicine for her from the hospital and she's starting to do better, but the weekend has been all work over the phone, getting better and General Conference- General Conference went great! Our investigator on the slope got to listen to the sessions-- it was cool to see green in Salt Lake. We watched it at the institute building on Saturday (in their comfy chairs) and then got permission on Sunday to watch it from the Hulls-- Sister Washington did well with that especially with how she was feeling.
  • We heard about another mission call of a Young single adult up here- she is going to Phoenix!

 
Well, love you all!
 
Love,

Sister Wuehler

scripture: Alma 7:17 (Alma's joy is great because of his belief),
17 And now my beloved brethren, do you believe these things? Behold, I say unto you, yea, I know that ye believe them; and the way that I know that ye believe them is by the manifestation of the Spirit which is in me. And now because your faith is strong concerning that, yea, concerning the things which I have spoken, great is my joy.
 
Joseph Smith- History 1:32 "I was afraid, but the fear soon left me..."
ism: "God's Delay is not always Denial" -Brad Wilcox
"See, you guys are in it all the time, you're soaking in it!!!" --Sister about how often the missionaries were talked about in conference
"Stand up, walk to the left or right, and then touch your neighbor.... Now you can say you've all been uplifted, moved and touched by our training" --Juneau Elders
"The most important thing is to keep the most important thing the most important thing" --sister sherwood

A TREAT LEFT IN THEIR REFRIGERATOR--"I am a daughter of Royal Birth, My father is King of Heaven and Earth.  My Spirit was born in the courts on high; A child beloved, A princess am I!"

NORTHERN LIGHTS--CAN YOU SEE THEM??


 
THIS IS THE MISSIONARY "MEAL CALENDAR"  -- I LOVE HOW THE RELIEF SOCIETY PRESIDENT SIGNS UP--"SHE-WHO-MUST-BE-NAMED...A MAGICAL NIGHT (BUT NO BUTTER BEAR); AND ALSO ANOTHER--"BE PREPARED FOR AWESOMENESS"!!!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment