Saturday, December 29, 2012

Week 46: Christmas, New Years, and Transfers once again.


Dear Family and Friends, (Saturday, December 29, 2012)


Ice Sculptures at the Anchorage Temple


Wow it's hot outside- 40 degrees, although the winds are blowing like crazy and the roads are now slushy!! I went out with a sweater, scarf, and hat. We got our transfer calls on Thursday night, well, at least the Sisters did after coaxing and Sister Beesley pulling some strings to let us know what was happening... the Elders found out this morning. I am not training!!! Yay!!!!! I should probably be more positive because everyone keeps joking that we'll have to train five sisters at once. Probably not that drastic, but I think one is enough. I will be in Rabbit Creek (same place) with Sister Hatfield who is coming in from Petersburg.  I found out also that there will be three sets of Sisters in Anchorage-- Sister Burbank training in Inlet View, Sisters in Cook Inlet YSA, and then we have Sisters in Chugach- I don;t know what we will do with so many sisters around!


Christmas Eve we got to read the Christmas story with members in our ward after dinner and we went caroling with the Elders to a few of the people each of us visit- it was fun.  Then after we got inside, we had a Polycom (I believe they listen to this)  "Alaska night before Christmas" which I can remember nothing of because I was so ready for bed. Christmas morning we had District Meeting with the Elders, and they had planned a scavenger hunt around the building and each of us had a "gift" we needed to use to find the next clue. After we made lunch, and we made potstickers from scratch for the first time. We got the recipe from a former investigator who is Chinese in our area- she's been teaching Sister Morey Chinese --and they were the best potstickers I have had or close to it! I loved being able to google+ with all the family, that's a new thing!  (we were able to get the whole family in their own little "box" so she could talk to all of us!!)  Miss you!

Sister Wuehler and Sister Morey  -- Notice her haircut!
 
I noticed with Christmas around the corner last week, everyone seemed frantic and overly stressed. You can feel it everywhere you go. Something I have been grateful for this Chirtsmas season is the opportunity to really remember what we are celebrating. President Eyring talked about in his Christmas Devotional talk about how we sing carols and they make us happy because we can remember the greatest gift we have been given is to come here to earth, and that the Savior provided a way back to him. There was a man last Monday on the side of the road- Monday was a very cold day, needless to say, but he was shivering and holding a sign that said "homeless, need help" I had the opportunity to hand him out some food we had to snack on in the car and I took the opportunity. I feel that the greatest gift I could have received there was the sweet look on his face, tired, grateful, worn down, but still moving forward. President Monson shared in the December message in the Ensign this month this poem he heard,


I am the Christmas Spirit—
I enter the home of poverty, causing palefaced children to open their eyes wide, in pleased wonder.
I cause the miser’s clutched hand to relax and thus paint a bright spot on his soul.
I cause the aged to renew their youth and to laugh in the old glad way.
I keep romance alive in the heart of childhood, and brighten sleep with dreams woven of magic.
I cause eager feet to climb dark stairways with filled baskets, leaving behind hearts amazed at the goodness of the world.
I cause the prodigal to pause a moment on his wild, wasteful way and send to anxious love some little token that releases glad tears—tears which wash away the hard lines of sorrow.
I enter dark prison cells, reminding scarred manhood of what might have been and pointing forward to good days yet to be.
I come softly into the still, white home of pain, and lips that are too weak to speak just tremble in silent, eloquent gratitude.
In a thousand ways, I cause the weary world to look up into the face of God, and for a little moment forget the things that are small and wretched.
I am the Christmas Spirit.1
(http://www.lds.org/ensign/2012/12/rediscovering-the-christmas-spirit?lang=eng)

That is the true Christmas spirit, the spirit of Christ and the Holy Ghost testifying to hearts of that good news.


We are giving a talk to the Dutch Harbor branch over Polycom on Sunday, first thought, after I got the call, "Man I wish I didn't pick up the phone" -- haha, it isn't that bad, but even as a missionary you STILL get nervous giving talks, no way around it. I almost finished it this morning in studies though so thank goodness. I'll try and send a copy home this time. With New years around the corner we have seen some fireworks around, we will surely hear those all Monday night.


Love,

Sister Wuehler


Scripture: Alma 17:11
11 And the Lord said unto them also: Go forth among the Lamanites, thy brethren, and establish my word; yet ye shall be apatient in long-suffering and afflictions, that ye may show forth good bexamples unto them in me, and I will make an instrument of thee in my hands unto the salvation of many souls.


ism: "Life is like a down escalator and you are trying to go up, it takes effort to keep moving forward"
 
(Note from Sister Wuehler's mom:  We got to watch the webcam of the Missionary Christmas Fireside that Sisters Wuehler, Gerber, and Morey were in charge of on Dec. 13th--her birthday!  It was so exciting to sit at the computer and see almost 2 1/2 hours of prelude including a cello and violins and solos, talks, and lots of emsembles of music---we watched Julie all that time--most of the time the back of her head, but it was a camera at the back of the chapel and we could see everything.  It was exciting--wow, the technology we have now!!!  We were just hoping she would turn around sometime and wave "Hi Mom" (or dad) to the camera!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment