Monday, July 29, 2013

Week 76: Prayers in the Wilderness



Dear Family and Friends,

 
 
"Soon to be Released" letter


 
 
 
It's so weird to watch people I know head home! It makes it seem like I am almost done with my mission or something...We watched transfer meeting on Tuesday. Later that night we had a short Sisters' training- only the Fairbanks Sisters were over personal video conferencing though, so we watched it from the Hulls' computer with Sister Poudrier and Sis. Clark because the stake center was closed to pave the parking lot.


We had a really good lesson with our investigator this week (and he lives WAY out in the woods up on a hill.) We brought a sister and our branch mission leader. We said a prayer with the members we brought before we went in and the comment we got was "this is so cool! We're praying in the wilderness like Nephi!" We had been preparing for this lesson for a long time- it had been cancelled a lot, but it was so awesome to see that it flowed the whole time. It was exactly what he needed and he asked questions and it made sense what  came from our mouths, because if I had planned that lesson without prayer, without faith, it would have been very different. I am so blessed to see that I have been able to testify about the Gospel, and that the spirit has given me the word that the people who I am speaking to need to hear. It was also this week that we were reading Ether 12 with (a sister), our investigator, and she  talked about someone who had great faith and adding to what she said, I was able to share her stories that I have been able to see my faith grow, and things that I would never have expected to see happen were made right. It seems like the stories just kept coming.

The other day in planning I prayed for a productive day, and we had so many opportunities the next day where people would come into our path, or need to talk to us, or be sitting around us and just need to talk to someone. One lesson we had with a member, his nonmember roommate just happened to be around cooking dinner and was there for the  lesson. We planned to talk about the Book of Mormon, while another guy was working on the phone line, and listened a little too. Then, as we always stop by the Institute (of Religion--for Young Adults), we saw someone who told us that he would bring his sister who isn't a member to church this last Sunday, and we got to know her and talk to her, and helped him to share the gospel with her. Then another couple who were just having a hard day, we talked even more to them about the Gospel, and more than anything, just listened. but it was all because we were in the right place at the right time. We had planned the night before, so that we could follow the spirit to those people who our Heavenly Father directed us to.

Another was the ex- boyfriend of one of our investigators. When I first met them, he was very against the church, but knew she wanted us there. He was still kind and not incredibly rude, but they were having problems. In trying to reach her, we met him at the apartment out in the woods, and got her contact information, but as we were leaving, I felt like I needed to ask him if he actually would read the Bible. He didn't turn down the offer but we shared with him that he can find peace through the Gospel.

We helped at the pig farm twice this week. We led huge pigs into a trailer so they could be sent down to Delta Junction. It's scary sometimes! But it's impressive how good all those Elders are with leading the pigs. The best method I saw was to put a bucket over their face so they walk backwards into the trailer. They are SO stubborn!!! Being in the pen with the pigs is crazy, but it's exciting when you can actually get them into the trailer. It's the boars that I didn't want to mess with, but they were a little easier to lead.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
While studying about the Plan of Happiness this week, I was reminded about how before this life, our Heavenly Father wanted us to experience the Joy that he felt, but we were not like Him, though we lived with Him. He was willing to give us that opportunity through going through this mortal life so we could gain that joy, but he also wanted us to have peace in this life. That must have been a great sacrifice for him, but because of it, we can really understand the joy that he has in us, and be with him again.

p.s. the sister we are teaching may not get baptized this week, but I will let you know. She is getting back into town tonight, and we aren't sure if we have the time to teach everything, but she is still moving towards getting baptized soon!

Along with everyone somehow falling over this week, saying a few goodbyes, etc, it has been a good week! Have a good one!!! Love you!!!

Love,

Sister Wuehler

Scriptures:
2 Nephi 4:20 (...in the wilderness...)
 20 My God hath been my asupport; he hath led me through mine bafflictions in the wilderness; and he hath preserved me upon the waters of the great deep.
 
 1 Nephi 10:14, 17-19
 14 And after the house of aIsrael should be scattered they should be bgathered together again; or, in fine, after the cGentiles had received the fulness of the dGospel, the natural branches of the eolive tree, or the fremnants of the house of gIsrael, should be grafted in, or hcome to the knowledge of the true Messiah, their Lord and their Redeemer.
 17 And it came to pass after I, Nephi, having heard all the awords of my father, concerning the things which he saw in a bvision, and also the things which he spake by the power of the Holy Ghost, which power he received by faith on the Son of God—and the Son of God was the cMessiah who should come—I, Nephi, was ddesirous also that I might see, and hear, and know of these things, by the power of the eHoly Ghost, which is the fgift of God unto gall those who diligently seek him, as well in times of hold as in the time that he should manifest himself unto the children of men.
 18 For he is the asame yesterday, today, and forever; and the way is prepared for all men from the foundation of the world, if it so be that they repent and come unto him.
 19 For he that diligently aseeketh shall find; and the bmysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the cHoly Ghost, as well in these times as in times of old, and as well in times of old as in times to come; wherefore, the dcourse of the Lord is one eternal round.
 
 1 Nephi 8:24-27
24 And it came to pass that I beheld others pressing forward, and they came forth and caught hold of the end of the rod of iron; and they did press forward through the mist of darkness, aclinging to the rod of iron, even until they did come forth and partake of the bfruit of the tree.
 25 And after they had partaken of the fruit of the tree they did cast their eyes about as if they were aashamed.
 26 And I also cast my eyes round about, and beheld, on the aother side of the river of water, a great and bspacious building; and it stood as it were in the cair, high above the earth.
 27 And it was filled with people, both old and young, both male and female; and their manner of dress was exceedingly fine; and they were in the aattitude of bmocking and pointing their fingers towards those who had come at and were partaking of the fruit.
 
 Words of Mormon 1:7-8
7 And I do this for a awise bpurpose; for thus it whispereth me, according to the workings of the Spirit of the Lord which is in me. And now, I do not know all things; but the Lord cknoweth all things which are to come; wherefore, he dworketh in me to do according to his ewill.
 8 And my aprayer to God is concerning my brethren, that they may once again come to the knowledge of God, yea, the redemption of Christ; that they may once again be a bdelightsome people.
 
 1 Nephi 11:22
22 And I answered him, saying: Yea, it is the alove of God, which bsheddeth itself abroad in the hearts of the children of men; wherefore, it is the cmost desirable above all things.
 
ism: "Sweet Goodness!!!"
"Prayer. It's the greatest WiFi ever!" -Courtney
"Revelation is always vertical, never horizontal" -Pres Duval

No comments:

Post a Comment