Dear Family and Friends,
It's been a good week. Transfers are tomorrow and I get to stay here with Sister Hart for the next two weeks until I head out! A few changes happened in the zone, but it's always expected. Change isn't something you can get away from. At one point I told someone I couldn't remember much of the week-- she told me I am not allowed to do that. whoops... haha. Well, it is good from all I can remember! Here's a recap:
- (A sister), our investigator, is so excited and decided to be baptized in a couple of weeks! She is going out of town for just over a week though, so we will see if we can teach her all she needs before, or if we have to move it out a week or so. She loves the Book of Mormon and believes that it is true! We are so blessed to teach her!
- We herded some pigs this week! Other than the awful stench, it was cool to see there are actually pig farms around. We were up in Fox off of the highway helping a woman who is trying to move her farm to Delta Junction. We were there to help move some girl pigs to a different pen to make them easier to load when the time came- they are HUGE! 800-900 lbs even, and we had these measly little gates to guide them up to the pen. At least they know where home is and knew how to find it. Mostly they found their way pretty quickly once they got in the path, but one of them was being particularly stubborn! She sat down multiple times! But at one point we really didn't think she would get up. The Elders were trying to get her to move. The lady who runs the farm, who is well into her 80s probably, yelled over to us saying "Be careful with her- she's nine years old- you'll be carrying her if she gives out!" followed by a "She's going to be made into sausages tomorrow." hahahaha! Poor pig, but for some strange reason I wasn't expecting that comment! The Elders called her baconator the rest of the time. We got to hold piglets too, but if you pick them up a way you might pick up a dog they SQUEEL! If you pick them up by the hind leg, then they are alright!
- Later that night I told (a couple--we visit them) that we herded pigs in the afternoon, motioning in a direction as I told them. One reaction was "I thought it was just bad grammar- why did you hurt pigs, now it makes sense!" and then the other was "you hearded pigs?" Next time I will clarify as I speak, apparently the hand motion didn't say enough and there are too many ridiculous ways that words can be interpreted.
- At district meeting we had my last transfer dramas! We have 2 other Elders from the district leaving for home and the Zone Leaders up here are being whitewashed (going into new area). I don't think I guessed right on most of the people who were going places but I guessed a little- and GUESS WHAT-- they are opening Turnagain ward in Anchorage back up to Sisters beginning this transfer! lucky them! (That was Julie's 1st area)
- I noticed as we were teaching our Chinese investigator this week that the traditional Book of Mormon we gave him has all characters except the chapter and verses were numbers! I started to notice the patterns and found 1 Nephi 3:7 for him and then noticed there was marking in Sister Chan's handwriting (who else would it be?!!!) on scriptures throughout the book! So exciting, so we told him he could find those, because he interprets them and seems to understand very well. So we then went to Moroni 10:3-5 and he seemed to love that. He said it was very deep. I hope he prays to know if it's true, I know he can receive that answer.
- I had the coolest time on familysearch.org this week! I found all sorts of pictures of ancestors and stories I had never heard and got to read some of it!!!! Also, we have Danish ancestors through the Robinsons! (Dad's Mom's family) I finally saw where it came from! Mostly I was reading about great grandpa Royal! (Mom's grandpa) He is funny! He is also a daredevil if you read about him- didn't seem to be scared of much! It was exciting to meet one of the people we visit that night and tell her about that and she was excited to get on and work with her family history. There is something that is so amazing about knowing who you came from and who they actually were, and I was glad he took the time to sit and write. You can see his personality in his writing and his testimony!
- We headed down to Healy yesterday- about 2 hours away-- 12 or so miles from Denali National Park- gorgeous drive, but so many of the trees were burnt, but their leaves were burnt red and gorgeous from all the forest fires! Reason we headed down there was we got a call on Saturday night about a sister who had been teaching a few of her friends the lessons. She had been off of her mission for about a year and there are no missionaries down there, but they were wanting to learn about the Gospel. So we set up a lesson and got permission from President to head down there, packed up and headed out right after church to be there by 4. Over halfway there, past Nenana, we got a call that said the sister was sick and couldn't make it, but they hoped we could come to dinner anyway and meet their ward missionaries. We did and there is so much potential there. They want missionaries down there. In due time I guess... We will probably be working with their 3 YSA investigators down there as time goes on! I hope next time we head down it will be with a lesson that goes through.
- We helped for hours on Saturday to help the Hulls with a dinner they had to set up for about 23 people, which she was taking upon herself, so we got to do a lot of cooking and she gave us some leftovers- it was fun to help out there but very hectic!
- I was talking to someone this week about my brothers and I called you guys Elders! whoops. Guess I have been here for a long time!
- We have a couple more people who sound like they are genuinely interested and one of our investigators has been seriously considering being baptized. Her boyfriend asked her about it and she really loves it, and also says she loves reading the Book of Mormon!
- p.s. I finished the Book of Mormon again this morning! love it!!!!
- An insight given by one of the high counselors speaking to our branch yesterday was that when there is darkness ever surrounding us, it cannot get in to affect us unless we let it in- remember that! (Joseph Smith history)
- Love you lots!!! Tomorrow is transfer meeting and they will be playing my testimony and I will be up here thankfully! Also, I found out Sister Peterson is the new STL!!! That means I can see her before I go home! Have a good one!
Love,
Sister Wuehler
scripture:
1 Nephi 2:19-20
19 And it came to pass that the Lord spake unto me, saying: Blessed art thou, Nephi, because of thy afaith, for thou hast sought me diligently, with lowliness of heart.
20 And inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments, ye shall aprosper, and shall be led to a bland of promise; yea, even a land which I have prepared for you; yea, a land which is choice above all other lands.
Moroni 10:30-32
30 And again I would exhort you that ye would acome unto Christ, and lay hold upon every good bgift, and ctouch not the evil gift, nor the dunclean thing.
31 And aawake, and arise from the dust, O Jerusalem; yea, and put on thy beautiful garments, O daughter of bZion; and cstrengthen thy dstakes and enlarge thy borders forever, that thou mayest eno more be confounded, that the covenants of the Eternal Father which he hath made unto thee, O house of Israel, may be fulfilled.
32 Yea, acome unto Christ, and be bperfected in him, and cdeny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and dlove God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be eperfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God.
ism: "I remember Wilbur was WAY cuter than that!" -one of the Elders
"They are going through a mid-life Christmas!" -Netty
No comments:
Post a Comment