Monday, February 4, 2013

Week 51: week before transfers, once again



Dear Family and Friends,

 

Map in the Library (where she uses the computers)
 
We had a Sisters’ night this week and Sister Chan will be leaving for home (for Chinese New Year and her mission is closing) this week back to Hong Kong. She will be missed! We had training on a few different topics and clothing before we get a ton of new Sisters, and we watched The Errand of Angels (one of my new favorites! --watch it with subtitles) and shared our companionship inventory stories of how we work things out and even some funny ones.  In the movie it talks about the scripture Doctrine and Covenants 12:8 (8 And no one can assist in this work except he shall be ahumble and full of blove, having faith, hope, and charity, being temperate in all things, whatsoever shall be centrusted to his care.)  I don’t know if I have fully looked at that verse before, but Heavenly Father trusts in our care and different things, but one of the things are the people who we are around, our companions, family, etc. We have the responsibility to take care of what we have and look at them in the light that Heavenly Father sees them. Sister Beesley had to tell a few of us to quiet down because we were laughing so loud after curfew- haha, felt like we were kids again, whoops. President Beesley even made us Elephant pancakes in the morning, yes, elephant pancakes with vanilla flavor in them (by the way, remember how I don't like pancakes besides dad’s whole wheat ones? I ate blueberry pancakes for dinner yesterday with raw sugar and whipped cream on them and LOVED them! Shocker!)


 
President Beesley making breakfast





Elephant Pancakes!!!!

 

With the Young Women coming to the opening of Relief Society yesterday, the room was packed by the time we walked in and we were standing at the back by the door and just kept multiplying. I found the closest available seat and I sat down next to a woman who I had not seen before. I found out later that she was visiting her family in the ward and she wanted us to visit a few people. After she gave us that information, she proceeded to try and set me up with one of her grandsons out of Alaska! eee! I was back to my companion real quick after that conversation. Maybe sitting a few rows away is too far when it comes to distractions. My companion laughed at me too-- haha.  Trust me, no one is immune to distractions, even if the distraction is your view of yourself. I remember thinking that missionaries were always doing the right thing- always focused, but it is such a strong push against our will and God's will all the time, and that's one way how we learn, when we turn to his will. I read in the scripture this week in Mosiah chapter 4, and in verse 5 I noticed that it says: "For behold, if the knowledge of the goodness of God at this time has awakened you to a sense of your anothingness, and your worthless and fallen state—" and it goes on talking (verses 5-11, and 12 on are real good if you will read on about it), but I noticed it says if the goodness of GOD has awakened you to a sense of your nothingness. How often does that "nothingness" we feel come from us comparing ourselves to the world, or others around us-- how much more should we be aware of how God sees us. And how Elder Uchtdorf shared that compared to God we are nothing, yet we are everything to God. It seems to make a point and when I thought about it, the thought came to mind that the currency of the world is different from Gods-- the world’s currency allows us to buy candy--it's good for a while, but only rots your teeth and does no good, but with God, we can buy all the nutrients we need to prosper. That's what he really wants for us.

 

We had an investigator tell us "You don't look like you have a care in the world- there is so much going on and you aren't worried".  Believe me, when we heard that we were thinking of all the things we were worried about-- I noticed that the worry I feel now, and the worry I could feel without God are so different, and the confidence she saw was not because my troubles are gone, because they're not. It's because I am doing what he would have me do and that has made me happy. When he knows everything we can be, and loves us and wants us to be happy, and has never gone against his word, he directs us for good. Why not listen?

 

We taught our 3rd lesson to a girl last night who is dating a boy in the ward and she prayed out loud for the first time in her life. She is such a bright girl and the spirit was strong there. The Gospel is so true! Also, an investigator I met a few months ago keeps coming to church and loves it. She came yesterday to our class where each of us taught the plan of salvation in groups of three- we taught it to her a couple of months ago and she was in sisters h and I's group- she layed it out and I was so proud! I seriously love the opportunity I have had to teach her and will miss being around these youth I have grown to love. One of them called us old yesterday-- I think my companion was a little offended- haha- whatever, we're only a few years different, and with Sister H. she dishes out plenty of sarchasm so it all worked out with laughing.

 
 
District Meeting Birthdays
 
We got to skype with a recent convert in the Bush branch the other day!!! She is so sweet, but she hasn't been calling into church and we found out why.  We are sending her a package this week (which she doesn't know) with a ton of awesome quotes stuck in the Book of Mormon, and we will be helping her to understand different stories she doesn't understand because when she was baptized she was taught in a language which was not her own- but she finally called in to church!!! We are SO proud of her!

 

I had a thought about the first few words of the Book of Mormon yesterday. It says, "I Nephi, having been born of goodly parents...." and it all began with remembering that, but no matter what hand we have been dealt in this life, we still have Heavenly parents who love us, whose decisions are good and even if what we need is chastening or that push for change, that is all out of love because sometimes chastening IS the most Christlike thing we can do in some situations. It is all about remembering the perspective of eternity and where we are going and who we are becoming.

 
Love you!!!

Love,

Sister Wuehler


Scriptures:

John 3:16-17

16 ¶For aGod so bloved the cworld, that he dgave his eonly begotten fSon, that whosoever gbelieveth in him should not perish, but have heverlasting ilife.

17 For God asent not his Son into the world to bcondemn the world; but that the world through him might be csaved.


12 I say unto you, I would that ye should remember to retain the name written always in your hearts, that ye are not found on the left hand of God, but that ye hear and know the voice by which ye shall be called, and also, the name by which he shall call you.

 


ism: "How did no one find out about what you were planning all along?" -- "We didn't tell anybody"

"I don't pretend to be Tom Cruise- Tom Cruise pretends to be me" -PB

"you guys opened me up and helped me to realize..." -- an investigator who i love, we were shocked by this comment- it was the greatest gift


No comments:

Post a Comment