Dear Family and Friends,
So I do need to brush up a little on my writing skills because we are
limited in time at the Anchorage library and for me, that time is crucial.
Rabbit Creek is in South Anchorage, and it is SO different than North Anchorage and
WORLDS different from Kenai. South Anchorage is a really expensive part of town
and I am not used to seeing this kind of living. I will have to adjust. It will
never cease to shock and amuse how dangerous of drivers city folk are. I think I
am partial now to the small town feel and the more relaxed and friendly
atmosphere. The ward here is real great- we still have a truck and it is
AWESOME. I would way rather have a truck than a malibu (the boat). The members
are so excited to have sisters, at least most of them and have provided us with
SO MANY people to contact we are so blessed here. We have already had
opportunities to teach and as we are still feeling out the area, we will figure
out how the area will be like- we weren't able to meet everyone in the ward yet
because there was Stake Conference on Sunday.
The trio is working out pretty well, and we are learning to work together-
we are lucky we get along pretty well. Sister Gerber, from Vernal, Utah served
in South Carolina last and is 9 and a half months out. She needed to be in cold
weather so after being home to recover for a couple of months she is up here now
and she brings an awesome perspective to the companionship. Sister Morey just
finished being trained for three months up in the Fairbanks First Ward and is
learning Chinese- she is from Mapleton, Utah. Now Sister Gerber decided to pick
up Chinese along with her, so while they are studying each day I am busy doing a
ton of updating. I am also the only one in the companionship without different
food allergies. It always makes me grateful that I do not have to worry about it
for myself, but honestly it is still fascinating to me to see.
I had an impression last night that I should begin something for myself
called "Miracle moments". There are plenty of them every day and I need to be
better about getting them down but maybe I will write a few of them in here. As
we have been going out and meeting people and learning to work in unity with
each other we have had opportunities to teach and testify to people the Lord has
placed in our path. The spirit works when we are prepared and can place into our
mind what he wants us to say. I have recognized this over and over this week.
Our goal was to begin to establish trust with all those we see and we were able
to go and visit a woman in the ward who had a friend over at the time. She
invited her friend to hear our message and she accepted to study with us and
also a copy of the Book of Mormon. I could see the way the Lord softens hearts.
As we listen, observe, and discern those needs we then know what to say- because
they really are not our words. They are the spirit speaking through us. We also
met a woman while tracting where even though she was not interested in the
message we were able to invite her to come closer to Christ. At first meeting
she did not want to hear anything, but the spirit spoke and we were able to
share scripture with her that helped her to see that we love the Savior, the
same God which she does, that he answers all of our prayers, and to hear of how
her life was saved through the power of prayer to our Heavenly Father. I was
so grateful to see the turn of heart from assuming to knowing a little more--
you really do not know about something until you look to the source. Ultimately
that source is our Heavenly Father and as we humble ourselves we can prepare to
listen- really listen, not just say we are.
Sister Beesley just extended a "Book of Mormon challenge" for the next five
weeks. Personally I prefer to read slowly but we will read it like a novel and
use a check mark when we find something interesting, a question mark for
questions, and a star when something hits home. We just began this approach this
morning so wish me luck. It will be cool to read it quickly with a question in
mind. I am thinking my question will simply to be looking at it with unbiased
and fresh eyes, as if it were the first time I was reading it- trying to imagine
I was the investigator trying to learn and to know for myself.
Well, gotta run, things are going well, we got to have interviews with
Pres. Beesley yesterday and the snow is coming and going along with the Northern
Lights, Moose and Bears. Love you all!
Love,
Sister Wuehler
scripture: 2 Nephi 1:14-15,19, 21, 23
14 Awake! and arise from the dust, and hear the words of a trembling aparent, whose limbs ye must soon lay down in the cold and silent bgrave, from whence no traveler can creturn; a few more ddays and I go the eway of all the earth.
15 But behold, the Lord hath aredeemed my soul from hell; I have beheld his bglory, and I am encircled about eternally in the carms of his dlove.
19 O my sons, that these things might not come upon you, but that ye might be a choice and a afavored people of the Lord. But behold, his will be done; for his bways are righteousness forever.
21 And now that my soul might have joy in you, and that my heart might leave this world with gladness because of you, that I might not be brought down with grief and sorrow to the grave, arise from the dust, my sons, and be amen, and be determined in bone mind and in one heart, united in all things, that ye may not come down into captivity;
23 Awake, my sons; put on the armor of arighteousness. Shake off the bchains with which ye are bound, and come forth out of obscurity, and arise from the dust.
2 Nephi 2:11,13-16
11 For it must needs be, that there is an aopposition in all things. If not so, my first-born in the wilderness, righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad. Wherefore, all things must needs be a compound in one; wherefore, if it should be one body it must needs remain as dead, having no life neither death, nor corruption nor incorruption, happiness nor misery, neither sense nor insensibility.
12 Wherefore, it must needs have been created for a thing of naught; wherefore there would have been no apurpose in the end of its creation. Wherefore, this thing must needs destroy the wisdom of God and his eternal purposes, and also the power, and the mercy, and the bjustice of God.
13 And if ye shall say there is ano law, ye shall also say there is no sin. If ye shall say there is no sin, ye shall also say there is no righteousness. And if there be no righteousness there be no happiness. And if there be no righteousness nor happiness there be no punishment nor misery. And if these things are not bthere is no God. And if there is no God we are not, neither the earth; for there could have been no creation of things, neither to act nor to be acted upon; wherefore, all things must have vanished away.
14 And now, my sons, I speak unto you these things for your profit and alearning; for there is a God, and he hath bcreated all things, both the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are, both things to act and things to be cacted upon.
15 And to bring about his eternal apurposes in the end of man, after he had bcreated our first parents, and the beasts of the field and the cfowls of the air, and in fine, all things which are created, it must needs be that there was an opposition; even the dforbidden efruit in fopposition to the gtree of life; the one being sweet and the other bitter.
16 Wherefore, the Lord God gave unto man that he should aact for himself. Wherefore, man could not bact for himself save it should be that he was centiced by the one or the other.
ism: A member of our ward claims he is in the "spiritual witness protection
program." There are some awesome people in this ward., by the way in leaving
Kenai, a member put a picture on a mayonaisse container and said "goodbye sister
mayonnais, we will miss you" and gave it to me-- it is way awesome- I don't know
if I will really use it though haha.
No comments:
Post a Comment