Monday, June 25, 2012

Week 19: Mud, Moose, Mosquitos, and Rain

Dear Family and Friends,

We went and hiked Resurrection Pass near Cooper Landing last week with the Elders-- there is a high number of bears in that area, so we stayed together, and wore our running shoes just in case- haha, no worries, we weren't in any danger. Apparently there is a water fall up there, however, we couldn't hike the whole way, because we needed enough time to get home before p-day ended.  It rained almost the whole hike! But it was actually a tender mercy because the mosquitos came out when the rain stopped, at the end of the hike. It is so weird- I haven't gotten a mosquito bite yet even for years when I was home. I think it might be because I don't like bananas, because I have heard that mosquitos like people that eat bananas.


Sister Wuehler and Sister Sadlier--don't they look great!!!

Resurrection Pass - wow--isn't it gorgeous!!

We had a close run in with a momma moose and her two babies this week! We were visiting members who were moving out of Alaska, and when we went to say goodbye to them on Thursday, the moose got so close to the garage.  She was picking the dandelions out of the grass. Apparently, these three have been seen all across Kenai since those two babies were born, and even Sister Sadlier had seen them before then across town.  I am so happy that the moose didn't feel threatened by us, because there are plenty of times that moose will stomp, and they are so fast, especially when it is a momma moose and her young.  Also, did you know that brown bears and black bears are here-- haven't seen any yet, but I am okay with that.  When the moose were at the house- we had to wait to get to our car for like 20 minutes.





I have been working on memorizing different scriptures.  It has been going great--even Doctrine and Covenants 4 (Dad- maybe I could try saying it while holding the match like you did when I get home; Note: we always challenge our missionaries to repeat it from memorization while holding a match--sometimes a very long match!!).  I am noticing the great benefits and blessings from doing this. We started teaching a twenty year old this week who wants to learn more, and I was able to say the first vision without worrying about not knowing it myself to him.  It was so great to have been blessed by Heavenly Father as I have worked to practice that, and was able to use it so that the spirit could testify of truth in that moment.

There is a group of ladies we visit every once in a while that live in the same place, and are all seniors, and they are the sweetest. If we visit one, we will have to visit them all. I am so grateful for their happy dispositions even through the things they find difficult- they still find a way to come together and to be happy.

We did some baking this week for service where we made ham and cheese muffins for hundreds of youth for this last weekends youth conference for the Soldotna Stake. Those kids ate well that whole weekend, apparently those muffins were just for a snack during their service project! It was fun having time to bake and spend time with all the people who were helping with it. I took a picture of the recipe, and it is a big recipe because they had to multiply it a lot but if you make it, freeze the extra muffins to bring out for meals. They are SO good!



We do alot of driving because of how large our area is- we have to block out time to do that depending on who we are contacting each day and plan around the area we are in- whether it be K- beach, Kenai, part way to Nikiski, or way into Nikiski (where the no trespassing signs are everywhere), and it is so great that our map is this ridiculously huge and old map that if you looked into our truck window. it pretty much blocks out half of it as we search for where we are going-- our ward list is the funniest thing- the addresses say things like "last house on the left of Lois Lane" and "mile marker 35.5" or "ask this person about them" on the list- it is so funny. (I changed all of those up- they aren't real street names or things anyone can find, but that is really the way things are written all the time).

Sister Sadlier and I have been writing sticky notes that we hang up each night on our wall of funny things that happen in the day or things we want to remember-- I love it! One of the ones from this week was that someone offered us a piece of Havarti cheese to taste, and we had just eaten- she said- "that's okay, just stick it in your bag" It was so funny to hear the "did you just tell them to put cheese in their bag" that came next. I love the people down here in Kenai! They are so good to us!

Our view of the mountains and volcanos in the distance is so gorgeous, and I feel so lucky to see it every day. When the tide is low in the Kenai River all the seagulls land in the mud, and I love watching the birds try and get out of it- it takes so much effort and flying for them to get out, but luckily they are able to get out. I have come to realize that this mud in Alaska which becomes like sinking sand is one of my biggest fears. So many think that they can go and drive out on it and walk on it and they'll be okay, but it will hold them tight. Helicopters usually have to come and airlift them out if it not too late. I have found that it is comparable to being stuck in a feeling of hopelessness, sin, depression (or whatever it may be), and not being able to get out. This is much like us as we struggle with things and we can't find a way out ourselves and as we try to pull our own selves out, the suction pulls us more and more in. It is only that helicopter that can pull us out-- which is like trusting in our Savior to pull us out and as he pulls, that suction pulls back. As we trust in the Lord and hold on to that helicopter, we can be freed (Proverbs 3:5-6).  If we all understood how much our Savior loves us and that the Atonement is available in our every day, every moment, then we would use it as he would have us use it.

Love you all!!!

Love,
Sister Wuehler

P.S. someone gave us fruit yesterday! It was SO good- you can't always find good fruit up here!

Scriptures:

  • Doctrine and Covenants 1:38-39
"What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same.  For behold, and lo, the Lord is God, and the Spirit beareth record, and the record is true, and the truth abideth forever and ever. Amen."
  • Doctrine and Covenants 3:2-3;5
"For God doth not walk in crooked paths, neither doth he turn to the right hand nor to the left, neither doth he vary from that which he hath said, therefore his paths are straight, and his ccourse is one eternal round.  Remember, remember that it is not the work of God that is frustrated, but the work of men; Behold, you have been entrusted with these things, but how strict were your commandments; and remember also the promises which were made to you, if you did not transgress them. "
  •  Mosiah 5:13
"For how knoweth a man the master whom he has not served, and who is a stranger unto him, and is far from the thoughts and intents of his heart?" 
  • Mosiah 12:27
 "Ye have not applied your hearts to understanding; therefore, ye have not been wise. Therefore, what teach ye this people?"
 isms: The cat tried to get the moose when we were at those people's house this week-- we tried to keep it away-- luckily it was smart enough to leave before it got too close to the moose.  Also, We check the mail twice a day, even before the mail comes, hoping it will have a letter in it. (not really an ism, but it'll work)  (I suppose this is a hint from her, don't you!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment