Dear Family and Friends,
Thank you for all your letters! They are always the highlight of my
day!

Speaking of letters, my plans of letter writing last week got changed, as we decided that to go hiking at Flat Top (around South Anchorage). There was still a ton of snow everywhere, so alot of the climbing was sliding, which would be the reason why Sister Halatokoua and I decided not to go to the top because by the end of the hike it is about an 75-80 degree climb to the top. If you fall, you fall all the way (that was my drawback). Sister H. and I made it 2/3 of the way or more and went back the way we came (ridiculously slippery), but the Elders pretty much ran up the mountain so they could slide down the top of it... wish I could have made it all the way, but the view of Anchorage was amazing the whole way!

Tuesday, we had a flat tire. I wish I could say that we changed it, but I could see some catastrophe happening on the road if we had done so and messed up, so we called the Elders to help. Wednesday, we sat in the Doctors office. I always knew that doctors offices made you wait but this time felt like we were there for hours. I think it is because I am so used to being on a schedule where we have to be out of places within the hour. The worst thing about it was that the T.V. was playing a show I liked. Boo. I spent the whole time looking away and playing with the silly putty that was sent to me just to keep my mind off of it. (Good for her!!!) Turns out that silly putty is very useful because I let a young boy play with it-- he was having an asthma attack and had to wait two hours! Poor thing, but he liked the silly putty.
I am going on an Exchange with Sister Williams to Eagle River (just for
tomorrrow), and Sister Peterson will be here in my place. I'm excited to see the
BeachLake area and love the drive up there- it is countryside all the way
there.
A scripture that has stuck out when we are meeting with others throughout
this week is 2 Nephi 25:23 which reads,
"For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do."
As I read this on the pages of the Book of Mormon, I recognize that
this is split in half from one page to the next. Often the verse is split into
the part that says that it is by grace we are saved after all we can do,
however, without his grace we can do nothing-- the all we can do comes earlier
in the verse: "To believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God", but what is
it to be reconciled? When a member looked it up, the dictionary said it was "to
become friendly with" so it is to make one in purpose, to come closer to God and
his will for us. So to believe is just the beginning, but to be reconciled is an
action word; it means we need to use his Gospel, or else it cannot be sufficient
for us.
I am grateful for these people here in Alaska who desire to come closer
to Christ, for it is only through him that we can find peace, and happiness in
this life and in the next. I am grateful for my Savior, for the opportunity to
fast this week, and for the sacrifices which make it possible for each and every
one of us to return to our Father in Heaven one day.
I love you all and hope you have a great week!
Love,
Sister Wuehler
Scripture: Isaiah 58:5-9
"Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his
soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread
sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an
acceptable day to the Lord? Is not this
the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the
oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? Is it not to
deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the
naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh? Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness
shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy rereward. Then shalt thou call, and the Lord shall answer; thou shalt cry,
and he shall say, Here I am...."
ism: "You're talking theoretical, I'm talking Reality."


No comments:
Post a Comment