Monday, June 17, 2013

Week 70: SOLSTICE this weekend!


Dear Family and Friends,

So this week was Crazy busy! Monday night we stayed at the Inlet View sisters apartment (same apartment I was trained in); then made it to the mission home to sneak downstairs by 8:45 so the trainees wouldn't see us. Their training went longer so they didn't even get downstairs until 11/ 11:30 to meet us and then we found out who would be our companions. My companion is Sister Hart! Sister Hart is from Holladay, Utah. She is 19 and has been studying at UVU.

 



Sister Hart and I
 
 
 

We were able to attend the Temple together.
 

Temple Windows
 
 

 
 
 
 
It is SO hot in Fairbanks- Even Sister Hart says it is and she was just in SLC and Provo. We figured out a little more about why this week.   Someone told us it's because the sun is closer up here and never really gets over head, just that it keeps going around the sky (i can't remember the terms). We have seen a ton of thermometers say 100 or over 100, and it's just in the 80s (it will be 90s or more this week i hear), but I really think it's because thermometers can't handle the temperature range up here... -60 to 100 Fahrenheit is bound to break some thermometers because we HAVEN'T seen 100 yet.

SUMMER SOLSTICE IS THIS WEEK! The Sun will be out for 24 hours!!! They have solstice activities up here and we probably can't go to it, but I will try to get a picture of how bright it is outside.



 

Now that I have talked about the weather for the last two paragraphs, this week went well. A lot of cancelled appointments, but we are laying the ground work in other ways in the branch, especially because now we only have 4th Branch to focus on. 

We went to the memorial service for (a sister who we had been teaching, her) Dad (who was killed by a bear) on Friday. The day before we left some white chocolate on her doorstep, so that whenever she got there, there would be a note and her favorite chocolate-- we got a text the night of the service late that she got it and that they were her favorites. I just keep feeling her dad knows the improvement she is making and is so proud of her- he keeps watching out for her and I feel like I know him through all of the seeds he has planted of good. They will be together again one day, and even though tragedy has struck their family again, the legacy they have within their family is to be carried on, not mourned over. They are so wonderful! I even felt that when we were in the temple on Tuesday. He is at peace, and he is watching over his family. A lot was talked about in the service about how he was a man who was happy to be in the back woods, how he flew over the pipeline in his "jet pack" paragliding and how he never seemed to want to bring much attention to himself, and the irony is that the room was packed, his death was broadcast across the country and there were so many he helped. In his life, he did so much, and we can if we decide to as well. We can love as deeply, and show that love through serving those around us.

Since, it's Sister Hart's first week, we have been introducing her to a lot of people. At a dinner, (a member) made sure EVERYTHING was GREEN! Since we shouldn't be calling her a greenie, we didn't, but being a new missionary and it is her first dinner! They made the alfredo sauce GREEN and she made sure we didn't know until she served it! Then broccoli and mint ice cream. We were laughing the whole dinner, and telling stories and got to close with a message.




 

I found out an investigator I taught in Turnagain got baptized two weeks ago!!! That was so exciting! I heard it from (a member), who we used to bring to lessons with him and others- she is in the YSA ward down there and I got to see her at the temple when we went!

I had a brilliant idea this week! If you have ever seen the Mormon Message 'Earthly Father, Heavenly Father', then you know the music is catchy, any it being my favorite, it's stuck in my head a lot. I think that they need to make a missionary version of that for fun, completely an inside joke, but when that idea came into mind, I am determined to get it going with someone! Sister Hart had a brilliant idea this week too. They need to make a Mosquito man. They already have a spider man character. That would be funny.  (Link to Mormon Messages: http://www.lds.org/pages/mormon-messages#earthly-father-heavenly-father)

We had a really great sacrament meeting yesterday, with another farewell-- (a sister)-- and the Elders Quorum spoke. Much of it was on Family History and Perfecting the Saints. The Elders Quorum President got up and told a story of someone who got up to give a talk and just sat there for a LONG awkward time, and when that silence was finished he said that what they said is "You've been waiting for me to speak for all this time. How long have your ancestors been waiting for you to do your family history. in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen." If that doesn't put the point across, I don't know what else does!

HAPPY FATHERS DAY YESTERDAY DAD!!!!

DON'T MISS OUT ON THE LIVE BROADCAST ON JUNE 23!!!! (www.lds.org)

Love,

Sister Wuehler

scripture: Helaman 12:1, Ether 12:4,27, 2 Nephi 4
ism: "infants are just sucking vortexes of need. Yet we can't help but love them even though they haven't done anything to deserve our love." -the stake president while speaking at the memorial service (he seems to always make it onto these quotes- he always says things in a way everyone can understand)
"Most of the time it's not a question of what is right and wrong. It is all about what is better and what is best"
If we are obedient, we will see the blessings





No comments:

Post a Comment