Monday, March 11, 2013

Week 56: ice scultures, melting in 44 degree weather...

"Man cannot live without faith, because in life's adventure the central problem is character-building--which is not a product of logic, butof faith in ideals and sacrificial devotion to them."  (Richard G. Scott, The Transforming Power of Faith and
Character, Oct. 2010).



Dear family and friends,

It was a warm week- didn't make it below zero the whole time, but will drop this week. It's spring break for everyone here, but thankfully we have a bunch of planned appointments this week and not EVERYONE will be out of town, I hope. We have also been doing some painting for someone we go and visit. A member took us to the Turtle Club this week- known for it's prime rib! (and it was good)

So the ice carving championships are going on-- we have been doing service for it and will be all month-- selling tickets for them. it's a blast! We get to hang out with all the older ladies, who are usually the other ones in the gift shop, and with being a volunteer for it, we get to go there for free, so we will go and see the ice sculptures today for prep. day. There are even ice slides and a ton of different things there. I have seen more people from Australia there than I believe I have seen throughout my life.  People travel from all over to see the ice sculptures and dog sledding. I don't know why. It's surprising to see how many people get courage to come up here-.  Fairbanks is awesome, but with the weather I will just put it in the words of Sister Sherwood: "WHY is there a Town here?!?" They use water as glue on the ice to fuze them together and they have been working on the double block competition, so they should be done pretty soon with that. Impressive carving, not going to lie.

I noticed this week that when we went back to visit someone who was offended by our last visit, because he felt like he was being judged, turned around this last week when we went and visited him and shared something on the exact same subject that originally made him upset.  He apologized, but told us he would always be blunt about what was on his mind, and we were fine with that ,but what really got me was the difference in attitude from the week before. Someone was talking in church yesterday about a broken heart and how often we associate it with a bad thing; when if it is from God, or more of a willingness to change, that is where we trust God. "Meekness is not weakness"

Our investigator got engaged to his girlfriend this week.  We got to our lesson with them on Friday morning and she was telling us about her day before and she goes, "...yeah he came in from the slope, he came and picked me up from volleyball, we went to the ice sculptures, he proposed, and then we got dinner..." SO we were not expecting that and she was just so casually working it into the conversation. We were excited for them, but right after you hear that so non-chalantly, there was no more to say, so I was just like, "SO, the restoration..." ...awkward transition but those two are so great.  May is looking like a time he will get baptized so far but he will decide as soon as his work schedule is in place and once they finish moving his rigg up in Prudhoe Bay.

It seems like the Lord has been sending out miracles one after the other, even just in promptings of those who we need to see came one after the other this week specifically, and we got a few comments that were either like "We want to come closer to God, will you start teaching us" or with a few "Thank you for bringing the spirit", "I was so glad I came to church today, thank you for that lesson", and another lesson that helped me see how much the spirit works to teach us when a girl in the ward asked us just come over because she wanted to feel the spirit more and receive more help for her and her boyfriend preparing for their missions. It's been a good week.

Hope you all have a great one! Transfer calls are coming on friday or saturday so we will see whats going on!


Love,

Sister Wuehler


scripture: 1 Nephi 2:20
20 And inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments, ye shall aprosper, and shall be led to a bland of promise; yea, even a land which I have prepared for you; yea, a land which is choice above all other lands.

ism: "Most of the time, people will rise to the level of expectation that you set for them"

"Fairbanks: We're all here 'cause we're not all there"

"I'm poppin smoke! ...that means I'm leaving" our branch president picks up the most ridiculous things

No comments:

Post a Comment