Monday, September 17, 2012

Week 31: zone conference, zion's camp


Dear Family and Friends,

Last M
onday we hiked Skilak outlook with the Elders- the view was awesome!


 
Skilak Hike


 
We had zone conference this week- and the focus or theme we have had for the last three months is on "Zion's Camp." We went to the Jackson's Garden for most of it and they made us dinner from their garden, we were able to help them with their garden a bit and to be trained by our mission leaders. It was good to see everyone-- Anchorage South Zone came down and also four other sisters, including Sister Peterson, Sadlier, Poudrier, and Rivera. It was great to see them all. The sisters stayed at our apartment- I don't think our apartment has ever had so many people inside-- at least since there have been missionaries living in it! All opted out to sleeping on the bunk beds for how rickety they are. I don't blame them.

 

Soldotna Zone





Service Project--the Sisters got to cut flowers from the gardens!




Flour on our faces!!!



 Sister Burbank and I have been sick with colds ever since. Not fun!

We have been doing a lot of Service here this week, and on Saturday our Ward had their day of Service where we all work on specific projects. There were many different projects to go to, but we helped with a family who needed their siding up as soon as possible before the snow, and put siliconing on their house so they could paint as soon as the rain goes away. Some of the priesthood leaders in the ward who were there noticed we were lifting some things that should have been lifted by someone else. They said to us, "you are not here to serve man- you are here to serve God, and only man if it helps to bring them closer to God." As much as I love to do all I can, I sometimes don't put a limit to when those types of things are too much too ask, or too far or dangerous to health. I was grateful for them telling us this, even though I think I could normally do this, but there is a point of "too much" for everyone. They are really looking out for us here in Kenai, and that was a message I needed to hear.

We were able to see the stars this week just for a moment. A woman in our ward told us this last week "God did his best work when he made Alaska." She shared of how whenever she looks at what God has created, she is able to know of his love and in seeing his great creations, she comes closest to God. Alaska is really one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. It is interesting in many places around the world how man has figured out how to place and create their own buildings and places, but Alaska seems so inconquerable by man. It really is in it's simplest form. I notice this the most when we drive down to Kenai from Anchorage. From the inlet you can see the village "Hope", it is so close but it still takes about an hour to get there because there is no bridge. The water and mud between might make it impossible to build a bridge. I don't know all the details, but it is interesting to see that we are living in an amazing world, with capabilities far beyond our own imagination or control.


I have been reading the September Ensign this last week, and there have been many things that have stood out, but one particular article stood above the rest to me- It was the last article "What am I Worth?" by Adam C. Olsen (Ensign, September 2012; http://www.lds.org/ensign/print/2012/09/what-am-i-worth?lang=eng&clang=eng) He talks about how it is the Buyer that determines the worth and goes on to say this:

"Here is the key: it is the customer who looks at the price, evaluates the product, and decides if it is worth the cost. And in this life there is only one Buyer of consequence.
Our Savior, Jesus Christ, evaluated “the product”—us, both collectively and individually. He knew of the depth of iniquity that would be connected with the human family.1 He understood the awful, inestimable price He would be required to pay, “which suffering caused [Him] even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit” (D&C 19:18).
And knowing all, He still decided I was worth it."


We are all worth the price our Savior had to pay. There is no doubt about that. I love my Savior and I am grateful for all of your support! Love you!


Love,
Sister Wuehler

ism: Anyone who says they are too small to make a difference has never spent a night with a mosquito.
"women are trouble"..."and men are weak"-- i love our missionaries! they are too funny!

Scriptures: 3 Nephi 18:16, 20-21, 30-32, 19:9
And as I have prayed among you even so shall ye pray in my achurch, among my people who do repent and are baptized in my name. Behold I am the blight; I have set an cexample for you. 20 And awhatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is right, believing that ye shall receive, behold it shall be given unto you.
21 aPray in your families unto the Father, always in my name, that your wives and your children may be blessed.30 Nevertheless, ye shall not acast him out from among you, but ye shall bminister unto him and shall pray for him unto the Father, in my name; and if it so be that he repenteth and is baptized in my name, then shall ye receive him, and shall minister unto him of my flesh and blood.
31 But if he repent not he shall not be numbered among my people, that he may not destroy my people, for behold I aknow bmy sheep, and they are numbered.
32 Nevertheless, ye shall not cast him out of your asynagogues, or your places of worship, for unto such shall ye continue to minister; for ye know not but what they will return and repent, and come unto me with full purpose of heart, and I shall bheal them; and ye shall be the means of bringing salvation unto them.
19:9 And they did pray for that which they most desired; and they desired that the aHoly Ghost should be given unto them.

No comments:

Post a Comment