Monday, August 13, 2012

Week 26: "Summer is going, it's August"


Dear Family and Friends,
So, since August came, I have been hearing many rumors that it is now fall in Alaska. On August first there was rain, wind, and it was freezing cold (total over exageration) -- either way I thought we were hopeless for any more warmth- but that was wrong this year, seeing as it has been so nice outside- either way- as long as I am warm and not too hot, I really don't mind. We still have a few months before it really gets dark, and apparently Kenai isn't too bad about that. The sisters who were here in winter used to call it Narnia- they thought it was so pretty with all the snow and I bet it was, and still will be.


One Alaskan term used all the time is "bush". It just means an outer city or village of Alaska that's so far away from anything, or someone who lives on their own out in the country. They never send sisters out to areas like that for safety reasons, but maybe it would be fun to be in the real outdoors- Nikiski is a good amount of that for me though. Sister Burbank got a letter this week where a friend was telling her they knew someone moving to Alaska- they said they were moving to the town "bush"... that could be ANYWHERE up here. You could even divide Alaska in Half and it would still be the largest state.


We met a woman this week who shared her experience with prayer and how she was able to see it work. When she was pregnant with her second child the doctor she went to kept telling her that the baby had died, and she decided to check with another doctor after a long battle with this doctor of something she knew wasn't quite right. When she went to another doctor they told her that everything was going great, and she knew the other doctor had not been right. When it came time for her to have the baby, she told us that she refused to go to the doctor she had normally gone to, and that all the other doctors were out of town, except one, and it was an emergency delivery.  When she went in, there were complications and the baby was not able to breathe for six minutes, but was revived.  The doctors predicted that he would have severe difficulties in his life and paralysis on his face. Her parents invited the Elders to come and say a prayer for this boy.  She did not remember what was asked in the prayer; she now shares her testimony that it did work- her boy is now seven years old, with a middle school reading level and the paralysis only shows when he is tired. I too, have found prayer to work so directly in my life each day.


We had a barbeque over a campfire with some of the members this week- it was fun just to go out there and have a bonfire- I notice people like to do that as much as possible out here- that and gardening all they can- there have been some awesome vegetables we have been able to have from everyone's greenhouses. I got to cook moose for the first time this week.


There are two routes up to Nikiski before the end of the road out there, but we found out about the fire escape route, which not many know about, but it is so pretty to go through.  I love that we can see a clear view of the valley and how there is not really anything out there going through the valley, it is so peaceful. I included a couple of pictures, but those don't do it justice at all.
Fireweed is all over the area in the summer.  It is gorgeous.
You can actually make jelly out of it
(just like strawberry jelly!) 
Fire Emergency Escape Road from Nikinski to Kenai


Fireweed on the Nikiski escape route








 Georgeous View of Mt. Redoubt
We have a baptism planned for the nine year old boy we are teaching the saturday after next! we are so excited for him and for the genuine love and desire he has to get baptized. You can just feel that eagerness, and how it shows in his prayers to Heavenly Father and in his sweet heart. Yesterday, at church he told us, "I want to be a missionary!". This boy is the sweetest.


We taught one of our investigators this week who has been taught for two years, and now he is preparing to be baptized in september. It was so awesome to hear him tell us this week that he recognized the spirit- he keeps telling us- "Whoa, that was cool" -- I have found that words do not begin to explain that beautiful light we receive as we are able to be comforted and led by the spirit. I actually am very interested to hear of a time when each person is reading this was able to feel the spirit. It doesn't have to be big, or obvious, I would just love to hear it, if you would be willing to share- the address should be on the blog. I am excited to hear it! (you can write to her at:)

Sister Julie Wuehler
Alaska Anchorage Mission
3250 Strawberry Road
Anchorage, AK 99502
United States

Thank you for all the love and support. It can get pretty lonely out here at times, but I always know that my Savior is always watching over me and that there are amazing people back home who I can rely on. Love you bunches!


Love,


Sister Wuehler


Scripture: Alma 38:5, 8-12
5 And now my son, Shiblon, I would that ye should remember, that as much as ye shall put your atrust in God even so much ye shall be bdelivered out of your trials, and your ctroubles, and your afflictions, and ye shall be lifted up at the last day.
8 And it came to pass that I was athree days and three nights in the most bitter bpain and canguish of soul; and never, until I did cry out unto the Lord Jesus Christ for mercy, did I receive a dremission of my sins. But behold, I did cry unto him and I did find peace to my soul.
9 And now, my son, I have told you this that ye may learn wisdom, that ye may learn of me that there is ano other way or means whereby man can be saved, only in and through Christ. Behold, he is the life and the blight of the world. Behold, he is the word of truth and crighteousness.
10 And now, as ye have begun to teach the word even so I would that ye should continue to teach; and I would that ye would be diligent and atemperate in all things.
11 See that ye are not lifted up unto pride; yea, see that ye do not aboast in your own wisdom, nor of your much strength.
12 Use aboldness, but not overbearance; and also see that ye bbridle all your passions, that ye may be filled with love; see that ye refrain from idleness.



ism: "You're better than the best bacon!"
"I wonder if the Elders ever feel like the FBI with suits on all the time-- atleast they dont have cars like them"

No comments:

Post a Comment