Monday, July 23, 2012

Week 23: The reds are runnin'


Dear Family and friends,

Saying Goodbye to Sister Sadlier!


This week started with Sister Sadlier, driving to Anchorage, and now Sister Burbank is here in Kenai. It is amazing to see the difference of each companion, and how they choose to work--Sister Burbank has brownish blonde curly hair, and she came out the transfer before I did, and has been in Fairbanks for six months.

Sister Burbank (my new companion) and Sister Wuehler heading back to Kenai--River where bear was spotted!


On our drive back from Anchorage, we saw a brown bear in the Kenai river in Coopers Landing! It was catching a fish.



Traffic in Kenai is crazy!  We try to get to our driveway and it is blocked and slowed by R.V.s, trucks, fisherman and crazy dip netters. The Peninsula is filled with boats and you can see the differences in the drivers and the risks they take- -it has become easy to spot Anchorage drivers!  Fish and Game said that the red Salmon will be coming up the river by the thousands this week, and it shows by how many thousands are coming into the town-- but it is amazing to see.  It was great-- we walked out of our apartment one morning this week and our landlord was filleting Salmon out there and offered a fillet to us--fresh caught that morning (sorry family, don't be too jealous).  I don't know why people like white fish over Salmon- salmon just tastes so much better to me.



We have been trying to contact someone out in the middle of the woods, and we were told the basic area of where they were and that they had three nice dogs (note: that is how they are given addresses; usually just a basic description of where). We have been going to that place that was described, but the dogs we saw were awful, and we even tried to get out of the car by playing fetch with the stress ball in the car.  Too bad we were in the wrong place and these were not the nice dogs that were explained to us!  It was down another winding road even farther into the woods.  Now I know what was meant when they said the dogs were really nice; you can only stay in the truck so long before you believe that the dogs running and barking viciously outside your car are actually awful.  I have been lucky not to see too many of those.

Yesterday, a four year old boy, who absolutely love animals told me, "Your hair matches a red squirrel." His mother assured me that it was a compliment as we tried not to laugh at how silly he was. This is one of the strangest compliments I have ever received, but from this boy I know it was a compliment!

We have had some pretty amazing witnesses this week, and things that were said, times that were too perfect to be coincidental; one of them being during tracting as we showed up at a ladies house, just as she was needing our help. This is too consistent to be coincidental.  As we follow what Heavenly Father has set forth and try our best, he prepares those who we are to see to be able to feel the spirit in their lives, and to know that the Gospel is the Gospel for the living, for the broken, for each and every one who will only decide to come unto Christ.

(Last week) We were able to hear the testimonies of and go to the temple with those who departed for home this week, and the power that was shown from that has been one of the biggest blessings to hear. Time is going so fast here, but I am so grateful for all who I am able to meet that help me to see the Saviors hand in my life each and every day.  We are here to bring the good news of repentance and change to all, and regardless of what others may think- it is a joyous news! The gospel is the only way to have peace of conscience and happiness in this life.


Sister Petersen and I again -- we were in the MTC together!




The Alaska Anchorage Mission Sisters!


Wish I could write longer, but we need to get going. Love you all!

Love,

Sister Wuehler

Scriptures: Alma 29: 1-4 (LOVE this one- remember, Heavenly Father lets us learn from our desires [verse 4])
1 O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the atrump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people!
2 Yea, I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and acome unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth.
3 But behold, I am a man, and do sin in my wish; for I ought to be content with the things which the Lord hath allotted unto me.
4 I ought not to harrow up in my desires the firm decree of a just God, for I know that he granteth unto men according to their adesire, whether it be unto death or unto life; yea, I know that he allotteth unto men, yea, decreeth unto them decrees which are unalterable, according to their bwills, whether they be unto salvation or unto destruction.

ism: "We are in the business of miracles" -J. Beesley

p.s. The recent convert I was telling you about was ordained yesterday! so exciting- we brought him a Preach My Gospel (book) as well.

A great place to be!



No comments:

Post a Comment